Men's Health Champions Training
What is a Men's Health Champion?
Men's Health Champions are not health professionals but members of the public (men and women) who care about men's health and want to help improve it.
Almost anyone can train to be a Men's Health Champion. Champions are often members of a group, club, workplace, company or other organisation who watch out for their colleagues. It can be very fulfilling to see people turn their health round.
Men's Health Champions can be particularly important for overcoming potential isolation around working from home and/or being unable to attend our usual social and leisure events.
What is the training?
- Our training currently consists of 2 two hour sessions online
- Delivered by experienced Men's Health Forum associate trainers using Zoom.
- For group bookings, we can also provide the training via Microsoft Teams.
What does it offer?
- Health Champions are a tried and tested way to improve health in a community and can break down the barriers that often exist in health care provision.
- The training was developed as part of the Interreg 2 Seas Step By Step project in Hampshire by Peter Baker and Jim Pollard.
Who is the course for?
- Local authorities, employers, NHS commissioners and anyone - man or woman - who individually wants to empower men to engage with their health
What are the outcomes?
- the basics of men’s health;
- the role of a Men's Health Champion;
- how to work with men to change health behaviours;
- how to work with men during the Covid-19 crisis;
- how to signpost them for more information.
You’ll also have a lot of fun and get a copy of our Men's Health Champions manual, as well as our latest Man Manual, full of further information.
Can anyone be a Men's Health Champion?
Pretty much. Men's Health Champions are empathetic, good listeners, willing to talk about health and other difficult issues and to be supportive without being directive. You don't need to be a health expert.
Do Men's Health Champions make a difference for men?
The research suggests they can make a real difference. For men, they can be particularly useful: their more informal, man-to-man approach can provide an invaluable stepping stone between the men in their community and traditional, more formal health services.
What is Zoom?
It is a pretty straightforward technology for joining meetings online. If you haven't used it before, there's more information here including simple instructions and a video. You'll need a computer, tablet or smartphone to download the Zoom app onto. Your device will need to have a large enough screen to allow you to read slides so laptop or decent-sized tablet recommended. We can probably help you set it up if necessary if you let us know.
Some businesses do not allow access to Zoom. Many trainees therefore use their own devices rather than the company's. For group bookings, we can also provide the training via Microsoft Teams.
Ordering via Purchase Order
If you would rather not order using a payment or credit card, but would prefer to use a Purchase Order, you can find details here.
- For 'in person' training, trainer travel will be charged extra.
- Our small team of specialist trainers are busy and popular so please note you may not be able to secure your first choice of time and date. (Please add a note to your order to suggest some dates if you wish.)
- All our training can be customised or modified to suit your organisation or workplace.
- Joining instructions and other links will be sent shortly before the course begins.
Booking for someone else
If you're booking for a colleague, please make sure you let them know the times and dates of the course you have booked them on. Joining instructions/links etc are emailed to trainees towards the end of the week before the course. (We don't send them earlier as they tend to get lost in full in-boxes!)
- If you wish to alter your booking within 14 days of the start of the course, a cancellation or rebooking fee of 50% will be charged (i.e. a 50% refund).
- If you wish to alter your booking within 3 working days of the start of the course, a cancellation or rebooking fee of 100% will be charged (i.e. no refund).