Men's Health Champions Training
What is a Men's Health Champion?
Men's Health Champions are not health professionals but members of the public (men and women) who care about men's health and want to help improve it.
Almost anyone can train to be a Men's Health Champion. Champions are often members of a group, club, workplace, company or other organisation who watch out for their colleagues. It can be very fulfilling to see people turn their health round.
Men's Health Champions can be particularly important for overcoming potential isolation around working from home and/or being unable to attend our usual social and leisure events.
What is it?
- Our training currently consists of 2 two hour sessions online delivered by experienced Men's Health Forum associate trainers using Zoom. For group bookings, we can also provide the training via Microsoft Teams.
What does it offer?
- Health Champions are a tried and tested way to improve health in a community and can break down the barriers that often exist in health care provision. The training was developed as part of the Interreg 2 Seas Step By Step project in Hampshire by Peter Baker and Jim Pollard.
Who is the course for?
- Local authorities, employers, NHS commissioners and anyone - man or woman - who individually wants to empower men to engage with their health
What are the outcomes?
- the basics of men’s health;
- the role of a Men's Health Champion;
- how to work with men to change health behaviours;
- how to work with men during the Covid-19 crisis;
- how to signpost them for more information.
You’ll also have a lot of fun and get a copy of our Men's Health Champions manual, as well as our latest Man Manual, full of further information.
Can anyone be a Men's Health Champion?
Pretty much. Men's Health Champions are empathetic, good listeners, willing to talk about health and other difficult issues and to be supportive without being directive. You don't need to be a health expert.
Do Men's Health Champions make a difference for men?
The research suggests they can make a real difference. For men, they can be particularly useful: their more informal, man-to-man approach can provide an invaluable stepping stone between the men in their community and traditional, more formal health services.
What is Zoom?
It is a pretty straightforward technology for joining meetings online. If you haven't used it before, there's more information here including simple instructions and a video. You'll need a computer, tablet or smartphone to download the Zoom app onto. Your device will need to have a large enough screen to allow you to read slides so laptop or decent-sized tablet recommended. We can probably help you set it up if necessary if you let us know.
Some businesses do not allow access to Zoom. Many trainees therefore use their own devices rather than the company's. For group bookings, we can also provide the training via Microsoft Teams.
Ordering via Purchase Order
If you would rather not order using a payment or credit card, but would prefer to use a Purchase Order, you can find details here.
“The Men’s Health Champion training was an informative and empowering session that has given me the confidence to have supportive health conversations at work. I was blown away by the statistics that support the need for gender-specific health conversations so that we can ensure everyone receives the health/medical support they need, when they need it.” Zoë Dobell, Principal Systems Integration Consultant, Rail, WSP
‘The Forum’s Men’s Health Champion Training was informative, inspiring and supportive. The tools and learning are transferable to the organisation I work for, Thames Valley Police (TVP) and I will be recommending the launch of a Men’s Health Coach scheme across the organisation based on the training. It was also a really good opportunity to network with other organisations and listen to different ideas on how to engage and listen to male colleagues.’
Inspector Kelly Reed, Thames Valley Police
'It was great to work with men’s health trainers experts Peter Baker and Jim Pollard. We all came together as like-minded and enthusiastic practitioners from various sectors. Together we learnt more about how to get men talking with appropriate conversations about their health. We used tested frameworks and processes to understand the stages of change and the best ways to support men in their journey to improved health choices. Together we explored the barriers that men say get in the way of their wellness. It was good fun and definitely worthwhile. I was able to sharpen my awareness and knowledge about the current issues and challenges around men’s health.'
Lou Booth, wellbeing coach and business mentor
- For 'in person' training, trainer travel will be charged extra.
- Our small team of specialist trainers are busy and popular so please note you may not be able to secure your first choice of time and date. (Please add a note to your order to suggest some dates if you wish.)
- All our training can be customised or modified to suit your organisation or workplace.
- Joining instructions and other links will be sent shortly before the course begins.
- If you wish to alter your booking within 14 days of the start of the course, a cancellation or rebooking fee of 50% will be charged (i.e. a 50% refund).
- If you wish to alter your booking within 3 working days of the start of the course, a cancellation or rebooking fee of 100% will be charged (i.e. no refund).